Sunday, March 30, 2014

Zoee: Reality 4

Posted by Unknown at 6:41 AM
Grabbing him by the arm I lead him out of the bar.  Some people are still hanging outside of the bar, waiting on cabs or just chatting with one another before they leave to their cars.  The autumn chill in the air is raising goose bumps over my arm as I guide him through the parking lot.
“So if I drive you home, what about your car?” I wonder aloud.
“I took a cab out here tonight,” Cody chuckles.  “You’re actually saving me a few bucks taking me back home.”
"Okay, then this should make us even for you paying my tab." I say walking over to a blue mini cooper with white racing stripes.
"How'd you snag a nice car like this?"
"I snagged it off the lemon lot." I laugh. "Some guy was getting stationed overseas and was practically giving it away. It's been a nice ride."
"I had a Dodge Challenger back home."
"Had? What happened to it?"
"It was becoming more of a burden than anything living in San Diego. It was cheaper to just use the public transportation and my own two feet than keeping the car for an occasional drive. I paid the insurance on it more than I drove it."
The drive back home was a brief fifteen minutes of catching up about jobs and college.  He's working as a chef for a French cuisine restaurant and I talked to him about working as a dental assistant.  Cody asked some about my parents while I avoided the subject of his.  Pulling into the driveway of his dad's house, I ask what he is going to do with the place.
"I don't know honestly," he answers. "I've thought about moving into it since it carries no payments on it and I'm tired of renting but I do not know about making a life here."
I stand eagerly behind him, excited to see how the inside has changed from how I last remembered it. As he pulls the door back, it is hard to see inside past the dark foyer. He grabs my hand and leads me into the darkened cover of the house and shuts the door behind me.
"Um, are we going to turn the lights on at all?"
"From what the electric company told me," his voice calls over from the flame of a match moving towards a candle on the mantle. "The electric here has been shut off for five years."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Dragon's Wife Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos